Sunday, April 27, 2008

Movies / Soylent Green Is Underpaid Extras


In respect to our favorite gun-wielding 70’s sci-fi actor, I popped in Soylent Green this humid morning. I never had the pleasure of seeing this 1973 cult classic before Mr. Heston’s death and thought it was pretty appropriate given our climate crisis and my need to yell from the top of my lungs, “Soylent Green is people,” in my pajamas. Did you know that Soylent Green was one of the first films about global warming and overpopulation? Eat that Al Gore. The future also seems to predict that women will only survive as live-in prostitutes called “furniture.” How fucking amazing is that? Furniture. The female perspective is pretty much absent from the film unless you consider Leigh Taylor-Young’s acting as anything other than robotic. Oh yeah, and then there’s the other pro, a wicked little Afro-chic babe who eats strawberry jam out of the bottle. Yeah, this film is pretty over the top.

No comments: